Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hello, Spring.

I've come to love and accept something about myself this year. I hibernate. When the wind pipes up and we flip our collars skyward, I retreat. I bask in the blankets and cocoa, and I let myself shut down that manic side of myself that insists on things like hyper creativity and new experiences. I hit the proverbial "off" switch and let myself slip into the routine and wonderfully familiar. Like watching Dr. Suess's Mr. Grinch one too many times. Even in after Christmas. Even after Valentines Day, for that matter. And while I fought my "laziness" at first, I've come to accept this side of myself. Holidays. Tradition. And yes, maybe just a little bit of laziness, too.

But when spring rolls in? I deck the halls in all of it's wonderful, energized sensations. It just so happens that St. Patrick's Day seems to hark the herald of creativity inside of me. I suckle at the breast of warm weather. Yes. I just said I SUCKLE at the BREAST of warm weather. Because I am *that* unabashed in my fanatics for this season. For shizzle, homeslice.

And there's no way to greet the dawn of spring like a picnic with dear friends, and letting the littles get their feet wet. Literally.

















So we went to Nockamixon. It's a quaint little park, really. And I happen to have quite a lot of fond memories there. I remember venturing there with my great uncle. It was then that I realized his uncontainable zest for nature. I remember trips with my family -my dad, mom, and sister- before the split. I remember my dad grabbing a tree vine and swinging and bellowing with all of the fervor of Tarzan himself. And we laughed. I remember sneaking off in the early AM hours to meet Scot when we were engaged. We shared sunrises and whispers of a future that we now possess. And now, I remember my girls. My sweet, soft spoken eldest leading her young sister to the water and allaying her fears like all good big sisters would.




















































And while Scot and I get snarky with one another more than I'd care to admit... I love moments when that all dissipates because I am amazed by the way he fathers his daughters and I am left fumbling for my camera to capture these moments because despite the fighting, despite the uncertainties, the love between a father and daughter is REAL.

I have proof.



















And the trust that a daughter has for her father is unmatched.

















 I know that feeling. Dare me to fall. I will be caught. And you will, Scarlett. You will.
















 Spring is a time for awakening. It's a time for impromptu trips. For daring to do something that you feel totally ill prepared for. Spring stirs within us what has been hibernating all winter long. And this spring, as I churn the soil of my life, I meet friends and adventures.

















And don't we all need new adventures?


























It's only April :) More to come.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa! I came over to visit via your comment above mine at Enjoying the Small things. And then, lo and behold, you mentioned Lake Nockamixon. I grew up in Perkasie on Three Mile Run Road which is practically right next to Lake Nockamixon : ) So nice to meet you. Your little girls are beyond adorable. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute. The father-daughter pictures are adorable!

    Great blog!

    - S from Following the Walkers

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were at Nockamixon yesterday. I don't think we are supposed to swim in it, but I sure did let the kids : ) It was like a zilion degrees. Hope you are having a lovely Summer.

    ReplyDelete